Forced Displacement of Daikundi Residents Was Put Off to Next Spring
In an interview with 8am, local Taliban officials for Daikundi confirm that the process of forced displacement of native residents of the Gizab district has been suspended.
In the past, Taliban military officials in Daikundi province had denied reports of forced displacements. However, Siddiq Ullah Abed, the Taliban’s police chief in the province, told 8 am that the process has been suspended. Abed added that the relocation process has been postponed to the next spring. According to the Taliban military official, no one will be displaced until the judiciary takes office.
A local source also told 8am that Taliban forces had left the area and returned to the district centre. According to locals, residents of the three villages are still worried about being forced to displace.
No clear decision has yet been made on the fate of the residents of the two villages of Kindir and Tagabdar, who had previously been forced to leave their lands and properties. They do not know whether they will be returned to their homes or not.
Siddiq Ullah Abed said that no specific decision has been made so far on those displaced. According to Abed, if the solution is for the people to be returned to their homes, the displaced population will return. He said he would inform the media after the final decision.
In addition to delaying the forced displacement of residents of the Gizab district and other Daikundi areas, three residents of the Ghamqul village in the Khidir district, who were detained by the Taliban in the city of Nili on Sunday, were released. The Taliban police chief also said that the problem has now been resolved, adding that the people should not worry.
In the first phase of forced relocations, on Thursday, about 400 families were forced to flee from the village of Kindir of Gizab. Following that, on Friday, residents of Tagabdar village in the district fled their homes, taking refuge in the neighbouring villages and the city of Nili, the provincial capital.
According to locals, there are about 15 disputed villages in the Lorashio and Tagabdar areas, and the plaintiffs have no legal reason. The sources also say that the displaced populations have lost all their annual products, including wheat, corn, almonds and other crops, having no place to seek shelter during the coming winter season unless their properties are returned.
A Gizab resident told the 8am newspaper that those who had been forcibly relocated from the two villages of Tagabdar and Kindir should be returned to their homes. According to the resident, they have lost all the results of their one-year efforts. He stressed that the people agree to a fair trial so that the case can be resolved legally and per Islamic law.
According to some local figures in Gizab, Kuchis and Pashtun tribesmen of Chaharchino and Gizab have claimed the property of local villagers. According to locals, the plaintiffs, in collaboration with the Taliban, forced the people to flee. Locals were concerned that a plan for ethnic cleansing was underway.
Mohammad Mohaqiq, the leader of the People’s Islamic Unity Party of Afghanistan, had earlier said in a statement that he was informed that the Taliban have deployed their forces to the Kindir and Dahan-e-Naleh villages of the Gizab district, displacing Hazara natives from their fertile lands and distributing their properties to Taliban affiliates.